"Round" - Class October 18th


I completed this drawing late afternoon on the Friday that we had all of the rain last week. I used blue as the background color for the drawing because of all the rain. I used a gold pen to sketch out the outlines of the round, rolling hills. I next used colored pencils to fill in the hills, along with more of the gold pen. I used gold and copper pigment from a stamp pad to give the hills some texture, and then some pearl white and blue puff paint to give the chaparral in the foreground some dimension.

I love the poem that Tony posted this week by Peter Everwine along with the word "round." I am reposting it here because I think it is so beautiful and want to remember it as part of this past week.


How It Is 
This is how it is -- 

      One turns away 
      and walks out into the evening. 
      There is a white horse on the prairie, or a river 
      that slips away among dark rocks. 

     One speaks, or is about to speak, 
     not that it matters. 

     What matters is this -- 

It is evening. 
I have been away a long time. 
Something is singing in the grass.


I found another poem by Peter Everwine called "Rain." Here is the full version.  What I like most (and think is related to what I like most about the poem "How It Is") comes at the end of the poem:

I heard the steady sound of rain 
and the soft lapping of water, and did not know 
whether it was grief or joy or something other 
that surged against my heart 
and held me listening there so long and late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touch - 1/23/18

Seem - 4/18/17