Tiny house village version two. I used pastel and colored pencil over a monotype print that I made a couple of weeks ago. Additionally, here are some references that I used for the drawing:
The above drawing is in pastel and it is of white and cream colored silhouettes of plants that I found on the sidewalk on a street in Berkeley a few blocks from where I live. The idea for it comes from Sam Falls, an artist whose work I saw at the UCLA Hammer over winter break. Falls, a photographer by training, created what he called a map of photograms of flora from forests in California. The color scheme (mainly the pinks) is inspired by Philip Guston. For the start of this semester I wanted to return to a landscape theme, but see if I could get at the emotional quality/feeling of being outside rather than a literal or more illustrative depiction of hills or another type of landscape. I was mainly focused on the composition, colors, and the concept for this drawing -- it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted but hopefully it's something that I can build on.
My drawing this week is of irises in the rain at the Free House, the brewery across from campus on Bancroft. I think it relates to the last line of the stanza from the Theodore Roethke poem for this week (I Knew a Woman): Let seed be grass, and grass turn into hay: I’m martyr to a motion not my own; What’s freedom for? To know eternity. I swear she cast a shadow white as stone. But who would count eternity in days? These old bones live to learn her wanton ways: (I measure time by how a body sways).
Wonderful!
ReplyDeletethank you Kenny!
Delete